Saturday, December 21, 2013

Advent: The Candle of Peace

I have told you these things, so that in Me you might have peace.
John 16:33

CANDLE OF PEACE
Peace is an elusive commodity in our stress-filled lives and fractured world.  As human beings, we long for a time of peace – in our world, our nation, our community, our family, and our individual selves.  The second candle on the Advent Wreath reminds us that the key element in true, lasting peace is the presence of Christ, and the knowledge that God is in control.

The Apostle John quotes Jesus as saying, “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”  John 14:27   When the pressures of life threaten to overwhelm you, look to Jesus for:

PEACE in P rayer
·         Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.  1 Peter 5:7

PEACE in E ffort
·         Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy…  Hebrews 12:14

PEACE in A cceptance
·         God demonstrates His own love for us in this:  While we were still sinners, Christ
died for us.  Romans 5:8
·         Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through
our Lord Jesus Christ.  Romans 5:1

PEACE in C ontentment
·         But godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.  But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.
1 Timothy 6:6-8
·         …I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  Philippians 4:11b
·         …be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.  Hebrews 13:5

PEACE in E xpectation
·                                  Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God; trust also in Me.  In my Father’s house  are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.  John 14:1-3

When peace like a river attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea-billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
“It is well, it is well with my soul.”


No comments:

Post a Comment