Saturday, September 15, 2012

At Last - A Rest

Heaven and earth were finished, down to the last detail.
By the seventh day, God had finished His work.
On the seventh day, He rested from all His work.
God blessed the seventh day.
He made it a Holy Day,
because on that day He rested from His work -
all the creating God had done.
Genesis 2:1-3

So - what is the skinny here?  God, the omnipotent Creator, is tired?  Considering that the psalmist says that God "never slumbers nor sleeps," I don't think God was exhausted by speaking the universe into existence, no matter how long it took.  He rested as an indication that He was finished with His work, and as an example to us, His created humans, who are never finished with our work.

God knew that the human body could not withstand the stress and strain of working every day, seven days a week, fifty-two weeks a year.  Particularly if you work in a high-stress environment, body and brain absolutely must have a break in order to continue to function efficiently.  God gave us one day in seven in which to do absolutely no work at all - just rest, relax, rejuvenate, worship, fellowship, and spend time with the family.  Jesus said that the Sabbath was made for man, NOT man for the Sabbath.  When He made it a "Holy Day," He set it aside for a special use - a resting day instead of a working day.

How many times do you hear the old phrase about stopping to smell the roses, yet how many of us actually do so.  When I get home from work, I tend to feel guilty if I decide to sit down and veg and do nothing.  After all, there is laundry to be done, watering in the garden, cleaning the house, mowing the lawn - the list goes on and on.  What a blessing it is for me to know that at the end of the week, I have one full day to cease from my never-ending labors and just rest.  Believe me, I look forward to the Sabbath.  Frankly, I don't know what I would do without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment