Sunday, December 9, 2012

Mary stayed with Elizabeth for three months,
and then went back to her own home.
Luke 1:56

Three months.  A very long time for some, a fleetingly short time for others.  Mary stayed with Elizabeth for three months - a haven against the social storm that was to come.  For 12 weeks, Mary could ponder, prepare and pray.  I think perhaps her thoughts might have been thus:
  • What will my parents say?
  • What will Joseph say?
  • Will anyone believe me?
  • How can I do this on my own?
  • How in the world will I raise the Messiah?
  • Should He go to school?  Should I homeschool Him?
  • What shall I feed him?  
  • What shall I teach him?
  • What shall I say when he asks about his father?
I could go on and on, but there is really no need.  I know you get the picture.  An overwhelming task is ahead of this child/woman who has been handpicked by God to birth His Son.  And Elizabeth?  She who is now elderly is giving birth to the forerunner of Christ - an equally overwhelming task for an old woman. Together they probably have more questions than answers.  But they are both women of strong faith.  No doubt they use these few precious months to strengthen and encourage one another and to spend time in prayer. 

We hear nothing more of Elizabeth after the birth of her son, but we know that he grew into a strong, unique man wholly devoted to God. Mary, however, continues on her slow journey to that lonely stable on the outskirts of Bethlehem.


No comments:

Post a Comment