Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Fear Not!

In peace I will lie down and sleep, for You alone, O Lord, make me to dwell in safety. Psalm 4:8 [NAS]


Have you ever been afraid to fall asleep? I’m not referring to monsters in the closet and boogiemen under the bed. Have you ever been too terrified to close your eyes, for fear that you would 1) have a nightmare, 2) be attacked, or 3) not wake up? Unfortunately, I developed this base fear during my middle school years. It was during a time of conflict in our family, and my mother began to come into my room in the middle of the night, searching through my stuff, examining my hands, or simply standing there staring at me. She always thought I was asleep - far from it.

I left the family home after high school, but that didn’t seem to affect a now established pattern of insomnia. Three years of college dragged by, each night a renewed struggle to talk myself into bed. On a particularly difficult night, I reached for my Bible and turned to the Psalms. It didn’t take long to reach Chapter 4, and verse 8 instantly caught my attention. It was as though God had placed it there specifically for me. I cannot say that it instantly cured my insomnia, but over the years, this is the promise that I have continually laid before the Lord, and He who is faithful has kept His word.

Fear was an immediate consequence of sin.  When God came down for His usual time with them in the cool of the evening, Adam and Eve hid because they were afraid. Fear has stalked the human race ever since. Perhaps that is why, whenever God sent a messenger to earth, their conversation usually started with, "Fear not."   Those words echo down the ages to our ears as well.  "Don't be afraid.  Put yourself in My hands.  Be hidden under My wings, close to My heart.  You are safe within My care." 

Anywhere with Jesus I can safely go,
Anywhere He leads me in this world below.
Anywhere without Him, dearest joys would fade,
Anywhere with Jesus is a house of praise.
Anywhere, anywhere, fear I cannot know;
Anywhere with Jesus I can safely go.

No comments:

Post a Comment