Sunday, November 21, 2010

Trust


Blessed are all they that put their trust in Him. Psalm 2:12 [KJV]


trust (trust) n. [MEtraust]
1. firm belief or confidence in the honesty, integrity
reliability, justice, etc. of another person or thing;
faith, reliance in the person or thing trusted.

Trust. Quite honestly, not my strong suit. I am, to a degree, far more acquainted with betrayal than with any level of trust. This begs the question: If I don’t trust most humans, whom I can both see and hear, how in the world do I trust God, whom I cannot.

Part of the answer, I believe, lies in intimacy. Many people are “there for you” when "being there" means shopping, eating, gossiping, skiing, seeing the newest movie, or gathering for a backyard barbecue – anything that is light, fresh, fun and emotionally non-committal. It is the rare friend that is willing to “be there” when you are overburdened, exhausted and depressed—willing to just quietly sit and listen without reservation or judgment.

God is not found in the hustle and bustle or the gilt and glamour – what my father called flash & trash. Rather, He is a “still small voice,” whispering peace, breathing comfort, promising a love infused with honesty, integrity, reliability and justice.

Through it all, through it all,

I’ve learned to trust in Jesus, I’ve learned to trust in God.

Through it all, through it all,
I’ve learned to depend upon His word.


No comments:

Post a Comment