Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Warmth of Spring


…for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, 
and sends rain on the righteousness and the unrighteous.
Matthew 5:45b

Yesterday was a gorgeous day.  It was 70◦ outside when I opened the front door at 7:00am.  Compared with the deep freeze we have been living in the last few months, it felt like summer had arrived!  As I walked around the neighborhood in the afternoon, I saw my neighbors washing their car, another neighbor hauling holly shrubs to the curb after digging them out of his garden, and still another running his lawnmower over the leaves left over from fall.  Children were riding bikes, walking their dogs, and playing ball in the street.  I felt so sorry for those who were trapped indoors because of work, family care, or some other circumstance.  I felt so glad to be alive!

How wonderful it is that God spreads the blessings of His universe to everyone – the good, the bad and the in between.  We do not have to “do” anything to merit a sunny day or a cleansing rain.  God created us for companionship, not robots or slaves.  His joy is to spread blessings like diamonds across the wind. Our joy is to receive.  My joy is to be thankful.

This is my Father’s world – the birds their carols raise,
The morning bright, the lily white declare their Maker’s praise.
This is my Father’s world – He shines in all that’s fair.
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass, He speaks to me everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment