Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Money


Better is a little with righteousness than great income with injustice.
Proverbs 16:8 [NAS]

I have a confession to make.  I have within my heart a great desire—a longing actually, to have great wealth.  I keep the thought buried most of the time, but it crops its insistent head ever so often – particularly when I see a billboard for… the lottery.  Oh my, you say.  [sigh] Oh, yes.  Why [other than the obvious reasons] would you want great wealth? you ask.  The answer is simple:  I want to be a philanthropist.

There are so many people who are in need of someone to champion their needs.  I am not talking about that which is frivolous.  If I had great wealth to manage and distribute, I would champion children and youth many different ways:
·         Give to St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital to fund further research for cures to childhood cancers.
·         Give to Smile Train to fund cleft palate surgeries for thousands of children.
·         Provide scholarships for college students
·         Provide internships for high school/college students in various disciplines
·         Provide resources for teachers in all levels of education
·         Provide school supplies for children who cannot afford them
·         Fund after-school activities and community youth centers

The list could go on and on.  The Lord and I have had so many conversations on this subject.  He must chuckle to Himself every time He knows that a lottery billboard is coming into view.  I have written on this subject previously, I will probably write on this subject at a future date.  So many to help, so little money, yet the Lord does not choose to provide me with any.  Or has He?

Take my life and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my hands and let them move at the impulse of Thy love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment