Sunday, October 2, 2011

Many Hands


And let them make Me a sanctuary,
that I might dwell among them.
Exodus 25:8

Today in Sunday School, I will be teaching the 1st-5th graders about the building of the first church – the tabernacle in the wilderness.  Although technically my rotation is music, I am also the first one to introduce the lesson for the month.  I have a wonderful set of felts of the Old Testament sanctuary that I am going to use to help the kids visualize what that ancient tent sanctuary looked like.  It will be like an old-fashioned Sunday School class - felts and all.

My teaching materials included a great song about what makes up a church, but it was set to a melody I did not know.  I found that the words fit to the tune of Jesus Loves the Little Ones like Me – a melody that the children are familiar with. The last portion of the chorus especially appeals to me:

It takes all kinds of us to do thing right –
Mothers, grandmas, fathers, kids, we’re precious in His sight.
So when there’s a job to do,
Don’t leave it up to one or two.
It takes all kinds of us to do things right.

How often do we decide that “the other guy” will do it?  We’re too busy, we’re too tired, it’s not our job, let someone else handle it, we’ve already done our part, etc.  It is a sad truth that in many volunteer organizations, 90% of the work is done by 10% of the people.  Regardless of our age or abilities, there is a contribution that each of us can make.  Remember – many hands make light work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment