Monday, October 31, 2011

Seven Billion?

Rose Garden, Ginter Botanical Gardens, Richmond, VA
 
By faith we see the world called into existence by
God’s word – what we see created by what we don’t see.
Hebrews 11:3

At 7:20am this morning – a world away from where I sit at my computer, the seven-billionth child was born on this planet we call home.  Symbolic seven billionth babies were heralded in the Philippines (baby Danica) and in India (baby Nargis).  I must admit that the thought of seven billion people on this earth came as a bit of a surprise for me.  Where in the world have we put them all?

Dr. Eric Tavaq of the Philippines Department of Health said that the birth came with “…a warning.  Seven billion is a number we should think about deeply.  We should really focus on the question of whether there will be food, clean water, shelter, education and a decent life for every child.”  UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon “…called for 'unity of purpose' among people across nations to address problems of climate change, economic crisis and inequality. ‘Some say our planet is too crowded. I say we are seven billion strong. But we will only be able to use that strength for the benefit of all if our societies are built on mutual respect and understanding. The world must come together on this special day… in the name of the global common good.’” [Time Magazine online; The Hindu; October 31, 2011]

Unfortunately, the human population of this earth is not well known for “mutual respect and understanding.”  In fact, I believe that the primary principle at work in the world today is, “Every dog for himself.”  One can lose their life in the blink of an eye for their money, their politics, or their religion.  Drug cartels murder and plunder at will; political factions wage civil war; racial clans commit wholesale genocide.  The rich get richer and the poor are ground even further into the dust of despair. Economic disaster is unleashed by those who care only for “the bottom line,” lining their own pockets at the expense of others.

Gazing into the peaceful face of the seven billionth inhabitant of our globe, I am compelled to ask myself, “What can I do to make a difference in this crowded, contentious world?”  I am but one woman with no political, economic or religious influence.  What can I possibly do that will matter in the grand scheme of things?  If she were alive, my mother would tell me that I am asking the wrong question.  The one I need to ask is, How can I let my light shine in the tiny corner of the world where I live?  What can I do today to brighten a life that crosses my path?  If even one billion people would ask themselves that question every morning when they awaken, this world would be an entirely different place.


No comments:

Post a Comment