Sunday, October 30, 2011

October Snow and Rain

Harrisonburg, Virginia  Courtesy of Google News Search
 
As the rain and the snow come down from heaven,
and do not return to it without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish so that it yields seed
for the sower and bread for the eater,
so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish
what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
Isaiah 55:10-11

We were forecast to have rain and snow for the last two days, and the heavens certainly delivered, especially yesterday morning.  The temperature plummeted overnight Friday as well, waking my world on Saturday with freezing temperatures and soggy sidewalks.  I considered myself extremely lucky, however!

Further north of me, the leaden skies brought wet, heavy snow – a lot of wet, heavy snow in some areas.  As of last evening, 1.5 million people were without power.  If their temperatures are as cold as it is here, they have my heartfelt sympathy.  I finally turned my heat on yesterday for the first time.  I didn’t really want to, but my bedroom resembled a deep freeze, and the cats were definitely looking for warmth.

Thoughts of October snow brought curiosity regarding what the Bible has to say about the fluffy white stuff.  Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance, which is based on the King James version, lists twenty-four entries for the word “snow,” and one for the word “snowy” – twenty-two from the Old Testament and three from the New Testament.  Many of these verses use the word as a comparison for white or for purity.  The book of Job speaks of snow water, and Proverbs’ wife of noble character is fully prepared for the coming snowfall.

My favorite however, is the passage above from Isaiah.  The rain here in Richmond and the snow in New York City and Philadelphia will indeed water the earth, providing for the sustenance of plants, animals and human life.  Just so, God’s Word was given for the nourishment of our souls, and it will accomplish its purpose if we open our hearts and minds to listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment