Thursday, April 19, 2012

Being Sensible

Snowball Tree, Ginter Botanical Garden  Copyright 2012: singeronthesand

God doesn't want us to be shy with His gifts,
but bold and loving and sensible.
2 Timothy 1:7 [The Message]

I love the word "sensible."  It is not too harsh, nor too mamby-pamby.  For me, sensible has always meant calm, thoughtful, not stupid, practical, thought-out.  Webster defines it this way:

sen-sible adj. 5 having appreciation or understanding;
emotionally or intellectually aware;  
6 having or showing good sense or sound judgment;
intelligent; reasonable; wise

I like sensible people, and I hope that others view me in that light.  I must admit, however, that I have never thought of the word "sensible" in the context of how I use the gifts God has given me.  "Bold," I understand, although being bold is rather foreign to me: I am very much a behind-the-scenes individual, and I sometimes take exception to those who are bold and in-your-face.  Paul uses the word "bold," however, tempered with the words "loving" and "sensible" - a vast difference from pushy or aggressive.

My God-given talents lie in the areas of music, teaching and administration, and I utilize them every day in my work as a church musician and high school voice teacher.  So how can I be "sensible" in my interaction with students, congregation, and the world at large?  Perhaps the best way is to remember that I am not there to shove wisdom, knowledge, or anything else down people's throats.  I am a facilitator and enabler of learning - opening up minds and hearts to the beauty and knowledge available to them.  A sensible outlook on how children, youth and adults "should behave" will also enable me to reach past the quirks and irritations that always raise their ugly heads, and touch the mind and the heart.

And for you?  How can you be "bold, loving and sensible" in the use of your gifts today?  Feel free to share your thoughts in the Comments section.  I would love to read them.  Blessings.     

No comments:

Post a Comment