Sunday, April 22, 2012

Thoughts from the Country: Saying Grace

Copyright 2012:  singeronthesand

What a beautiful thing, God, to give thanks.
Psalm 92:1

When was the last time you saw anyone - man, woman, child - bow their heads to say grace in a public restaurant or fast food chain?  I cannot remember the last time I saw anyone do this simple task.  Embarrassing to do?  Perhaps.  Being ostentatious?   Not at all.  I was firmly raised that you do not put food in your mouth without first giving thanks to God for giving you sustenance and health. God is not ashamed of me - why should I be ashamed of Him?

I look at saying grace as one of the smallest forms of witness to my faith in God - acknowledging that He is the one who cares and provides for me.  I may have earned the money that purchased the food, but He is the one who gives me the wisdom and strength to do my work.  I do not have the outgoing personality to stand on a street corner and proclaim my witness to God, but I certainly can bow my head and acknowledge my dependence upon Him for everything in my life.  Won't you join me?

Grew up south of the Mason Dixon -
Workin', spittin', huntin', and fishin' -
Stone cold country by the grace of God

It ain't where, it's how you live.
We weren't raised to take, 
We were raised to give
The shirt off our back to anyone in need

We bow our heads before we eat,
Before we start our day, 
Before we fall asleep,
'Cause in God we trust, 
and we believe.

And we see what's wrong
And we know what's right.
~Country Must be Country Wide
Brantley Gilbert 


No comments:

Post a Comment