Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Matthew: Friend of Sinners


John came neither eating or drinking, and they say, “He hath a devil.”  The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, "Behold, a gluttonous man and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners.  Matthew 11:18-19 [KJV]

This conversation of Jesus with His disciples always makes me chuckle.  It reminds me of one of my father’s favorite sayings, ”You’re damned if you do, and you’re damned if you don’t!”  John the Baptist led an austere life – living alone in the desert wilderness, only coming before the people to preach, teach and baptize.  His sole message was the repentance of the people, for “the kingdom of God is at hand.”  One would think that the religious leaders of Israel would be thrilled with his preaching, but their reaction to the baptizer was decidedly negative. John was calling for a change in the lives of the people, including the scribes and Pharisees – a message they did not want to hear.

Jesus also spent his time preaching and teaching.  He did not baptize, however, just as the Baptist did not heal.  Jesus was vastly different from John in his acceptance of social norms.  He lived among the people, called ordinary men to be his daily companions, and attended weddings, funerals, and great feasts. He accepted invitations to dine in the homes of tax collectors and politicians.  What was the religious leaders’ reaction to this more social teacher?  They regarded Him as far more dangerous than John, and despised His teachings as well.

What really brings a smile to my face is the fact that the spiritual leaders of Israel labeled Jesus a “friend of sinners,” – a contemptuous insult in their eyes.  They believed their own lives to be above reproach – sinless, if you will.  I have no such delusions.  I am a sinner in need of salvation, and the thought that my precious Savior is also my Friend gives me strength, courage and joy.

Jesus! What a Friend for sinners!  Jesus! Lover of my soul;
Friends may fail me, foes assail me, 
He, my Savior, makes me whole.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!  Hallelujah! What a Friend!
Saving, helping, keeping, loving, He is with me to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment