Friday, December 31, 2010

Matthew: A Nazarene


And He came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth; that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, 
He shall be called a Nazarene.   
Matthew 2:23 [KJV]

I was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona, and occasionally someone would call me a Phoenician.  To me, it was a rather odd name, and not one that I would ever call myself.  Here in my adopted home, I have heard the locals called Richmonders.  Just as silly, in my book.  I do not feel defined by my home town, and do not wish to be called a nickname based on my geographical location.

Sports teams – college or professional – carry the nickname tradition even further.  Teams are Bears, Trojans, Blackhawks, Falcons, Nuggets, etc. The geographical location of the team is attached to the nickname, but certainly does not define it.  The San Diego Rockets joined the NBA in 1967, but in 1971 they became the Houston Rockets; the Minneapolis Lakers changed to the Los Angeles Lakers in 1960.  Sometimes the franchise didn’t even keep the nickname when they changed real estate: The Boston Yanks became The New York Bulldogs became the Dallas Texans became the Baltimore Colts, who are now the Indianapolis Colts!

Matthew used the term “a Nazarene” to indicate that Jesus was from Nazareth.  His statement that this was a fulfillment of a prophecy has always piqued my interest, because the word “Nazareth” or “Nazarene” does not appear anywhere in the Old Testament.  Matthew must be referring to a prophecy that was lost, for it did not make it into the sacred canon.    

Jesus was not ashamed to claim his hometown in Galilee.  On the night He was betrayed, in the twilight of the Mt. of Olives, Jesus asked the rabble mob: “Who are you looking for?  What is his name?”  The crowd replied, “Jesus the Nazarene.”  Without hesitation, He answered:  “That’s Me.”

O sing a song of Nazareth, of sunny days of joy,
O sing of fragrant flowers’ breath, and of the sinless Boy.
For now the flowers of Nazareth in every heart may grow
Now spreads the fame of His dear name on all the winds that blow.

No comments:

Post a Comment