Monday, January 17, 2011

MLK 25


…Whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant…
 [Matthew 20:26 NASB]

Today is the 25th anniversary of the first Martin Luther King holiday, established in memory of the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  Dr. King was many things to many people, but above all he was a man who gave his life in service to others. Dr. King once said, "Life's most persistent and urgent question is: 'What are you doing for others?'"
 
Jesus did not have a great deal of time for self-promoters.  When Mrs. Zebedee came to Jesus seeking assurances of preeminence for her two sons, Jesus said to her, “You have no idea what you are asking.”  Jesus’ path to the throne would lead through the valley of the shadow of death, rather than the palaces of the rich and famous.  When the other ten disciples became incensed at the audacity of James and John’s mother, Jesus laid out the pathway to greatness:  humble yourself and become a servant.

"Martin Luther King, Jr. lived his life for others, dedicating his work to ensuring equal opportunity, freedom, and justice for all," President Obama said in a statement. "I encourage every American to observe this holiday in honor of Dr. King's selfless legacy by volunteering in their own communities and by dedicating time each day to bettering the lives of those around us."  He further challenged Americans to perform 25 acts of service to others during this 25th anniversary year of the MLK holiday.

As followers of the Son of God, we should not need a presidential mandate to motivate us into service.  Jesus’ life was dedicated to reaching out to all those He came in contact with.  He “did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”  [Matthew 20:28 NASB]  We have the opportunity, every single day, to live our lives as He did.  In the end, that is all that will matter.

Then the King will say to those on His right:
Enter, you who are blessed by my Father
Take what’s coming to you in this kingdom. And here’s why:

I was hungry and you fed me.
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink.
I was homeless and you gave me a room.
I was shivering and you gave me clothes.
I was sick and you stopped to visit.
I was in prison and you came to Me.

Then the righteous will say,
“Master, what are you talking about?”
Then the King will say,
I’m telling the solemn truth:
When ever you did one of these things
To someone overlooked or ignored,
That was Me –
You did it to Me.

-Matthew 25:35-40 [The Message]

No comments:

Post a Comment