Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 6: Wednesday - A Day of Silence

Dogwood Series:  No. 6

Heaven and earth will pass away,
but My words will never pass away.
Matthew 24:35

Wednesday is another day of silence in the Scripture record, but there is plenty of parables and lessons that appear to fall on Tuesday to spread over into Wednesday’s time, figuratively if not literally.

Matthew 24 indicates that at the end of the day on Tuesday, Jesus left the Temple and went to the Mount of Olives.  The disciples were gathered quietly with their Master, and someone voiced the question that was on most of their minds: “Tell us, when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and the end of the age.” 

Jesus shared with His followers many details of the time of His return.  There would be those who would claim to be Christ and deceive many.  There would be natural disasters and famines throughout the world, but these would be only the beginning of sorrows.  There would be signs in the heavens and on the earth, and His followers would experience hatred, persecution and death. 

The Savior then shared three of His most significant parables:  The Ten Virgins, the Parable of the Talents, and the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats.  The Ten Virgins emphasizes the importance of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer.  The story of the Talents highlights the significance of utilizing the talents that God has given us to spread His love to the world.  The Sheep and the Goats gives the standard by which we will be judged:  Love your God with your entire being, and love all people as you love own life.

Come, you who are blessed by my Father;
take your inheritance: the kingdom prepared for you
since the creation of the world.
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat;
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink;
I was a stranger and you invited me in.
I needed clothes and you clothed me.
I was sick and you looked after me.
I was in prison and you came to visit me.
...I tell you the truth, whatever you did for
one of the least of these brothers of mine,
you did for Me.
Matthew 25:34-36, 40

No comments:

Post a Comment