Friday, April 1, 2011

Now Where Did I Put My Keys?


Or imagine a woman who has ten coins and loses one.  Won’t she light a lamp and scour the house, looking in every nook and cranny until she finds it?  And when she finds it, you can be sure she’ll call all her [girl]friends and neighbors: 
“Celebrate with me! I found my lost coin!
Luke 15:8-9 [The Message]

Money or keys: if it is possible for me to lose it, you can count on me doing exactly that!  My children and co-workers are used to being called into action when I have misplaced my keys. If something is in my hand, I have a tendency to just lay it down.  Anywhere.  Sooner or later, something gets placed on top of it and Voila!  No keys.  Money gets placed somewhere “safe” where no one but me can find it.  Unfortunately, I can’t find it either!

Women in Bible times often sewed the coins of their dowry into a headdress.  That way they always knew where the money was, because it was worn on their person.  However, it would be easy for a stitch to slip, and the coin come lose and fall to the floor. Unfortunately, this was not an everyday mite to purchase groceries or soap. This was a silver coin, a part of the family’s fortune, and no one knew better than she how quickly she needed to find it. 

When I get paid, I take out cash for two weeks of groceries and incidentals.  I put half in my purse, and “hide” the other half securely enclosed in the bank envelope, always in the same location.  Last week, I went to get the money, and it was not there.  I immediately called my girls and asked them to pray that God would help me find it.  When I finally did, my joy was passed on to the girls through text messages and hallelujahs.

Keys and money are necessary components of everyday life.  The loss of either causes instant panic, the finding brings joyful celebration.  The kingdom of heaven does not deal in silver and gold, but in precious human lives.  When one is lost, God is determined to find.

Count on it – that’s the kind of party God’s angels throw
every time one lost soul turns to God.
Luke 15:10 [The Message]

No comments:

Post a Comment