Monday, September 12, 2011

Pure

Fantasy Rose  No. 4 of Russet Rose Series

Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Exodus 20:14

The children were visibly embarrassed by this commandment – a curious reaction since they had no clue what it was talking about.  Not a single child could articulate the meaning of this commandment.  They just stared at me or stared at the floor. 

So we talked about marriage – how the wedding was so much more than a beautiful, once-in-a-lifetime dress, gorgeous flowers, and dancing until dawn.  Marriage is a declaration and a promise:  I DO love you now, and I WILL love you, for better or worse, no matter what, until we are parted in death.  There are legitimate reasons for marriage to end before that point – in abusive relationships, for example.  But certainly not because I suddenly find someone else I like so much better.

There is that little phrase in the marriage vows – forsaking all others – that tells the tale on adultery.  In marriage, there are no others.  Not lovers on the side, nor friends with benefits, nor, for that matter, meddling mamas and pushy in-laws.  For the children, however, I broke it down into much simpler terms starring themselves:  Andrew and Chandler fall in love and get married.   Andrew works at Phillip-Morris and Chandler works at Coca-Cola.  Chandler meets Tyler at work, and thinks he is so nice, and so gorgeous and so…  If Chandler makes the choice to start a relationship with Tyler, even though she is married to Andrew, that’s adultery. 

Breaking it down even further, this commandment is about keeping your heart pure, and your mind from wandering down the wrong path.  Loyalty, honor, integrity and love are the touchstones of any human relationship - the very core of a happy, long-lasting marriage.

I will respect my husband or wife
And never love another.
That's what God wants me to do,
That's what God wants me to do,
That's what God wants me to do
and I am His child.
(Sung to the tune Bingo)


No comments:

Post a Comment