Thursday, May 3, 2012

And a Little Child...

Copyright 2012: singeronthesand

Don't let anyone put you down because you're young.
1 Timothy 4:12a

Last night I was rehearsing with my Music & Missions kids (Preschool-5th Grade) for their big spring musical, O Me! O My! O Nehemiah!  that we are performing on Mother's Day.  It is the story of Nehemiah's leadership and the people's perseverance in the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem in the face of their enemies.  The kids were getting a little antsy toward the end, so I asked them to sit down for a minute and listen to a story.

Last Sunday, a woman came to church with a great burden on her mind.  Her firstborn son had recently been shipped to Afghanistan with his unit, and their first months in combat had been rough, with six of their unit already dead, and more than twenty critically wounded.  Her heart was heavy and her tears flowed freely.  Then a young girl stood up to sing, and shared these awesome words:  I've learned in laughter or in pain, how to survive: I get on my knees. I get on my knees.  There I am before the One who changes me.  Oh, I don't know how, but there's power when I'm on my knees."  Suddenly there was strength, suddenly there was hope for this heartsick mom as she was reminded to place her son in the Master's hands.

I reminded my little choristers that they also had a story to tell - a story that just might change the life of someone in the congregation. Paul reminded Timothy, "...just because you are young doesn't mean you can't make a difference in this world."   We all, young and old, need to let our little light shine wherever we are, in what ever way we can, so that others can see their way out of darkness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment