Monday, May 7, 2012

Oxymoronic Monday

Copyright 2012: singeronthesand

...whatsoever things are pure...
think on these things.
Philippians 4:8

I am a big fan of  Forest Hill Avenue, where there is a veritable feast of my favorite things within a block of each other - Walmart, Lowe's, Target, Martin's Supermarket, Starbucks, Chik-fil-a, Jason's Deli, Mexico Restaurant, and Wawa.  I visited there yesterday afternoon and purchased three trees from Walmart, a red t-shirt from Target, and a treat from Starbucks.  Quite pleased with myself, I hopped on the parkway that is my usual route home,  

As I traveled eastward, I noticed, not for the first time, a striking billboard on the right side of the highway.  Featuring a picture of a beautiful woman - doe-eyed, gorgeous smile with unbelievably white teeth, long dark hair, and bare shoulders - the epitome of young, sexy loveliness.  Underneath the photo were the words:

Gentleman's Club

The billboard always makes me laugh, not because of the picture, but because of the oxymoronic name of "Gentleman's Club."   Mind you, I have never visited this particular establishment, but I certainly am aware of what a gentleman's club is, and if I had any doubt, the picture of the young woman is a vivid clue.  I'm sure that if I investigated, I would find a nightclub that featured young women in various stages of undress as waitresses, hostesses, dancers, etc. Out West where I come from, such establishments are called strip clubs - a far more appropriate term.

I will not get into the whole discussion of  "southern gentlemen," but the "gentlemen" that I know [a courteous, gracious man with a strong sense of honor, according to Webster], young or not-so-young, would not be caught dead in a strip joint. The Apostle Paul advises the people of the church of Philippi to think about pure, virtuous, praise-worthy things, rather than the strutting smut that this world has to offer - an excellent thought to ponder on this spring Monday morning.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment