Friday, May 4, 2012

Courage

Copyright 2012: singeronthesand

Be strong. Take courage. Don't be intimidated...
because God, your God, is striding ahead of you.
He's right there with you.  He won't let you down;
He won't leave you.
Deuteronomy 31:6

I have come to learn that courage means different things to different people.  This week, the Lord helped me understand that sometimes courage is having the guts to NOT do what "etiquette" indicates you should do.  For me, courage was not buckling under the pressure to do what others required, but being able to firmly say, "No.  That is not what is best for me.  My answer is and will remain no."

I have lived my entire life trying to meet the expectations of those who, rightly or wrongly, felt the need to tell me what to do.  I am, it appears, an easily intimidated individual who can be coated with guilt at the drop of a hat.  I have struggled with these insecurity issues for more years than I can count; sometimes I am courageous and stand my ground - often, I do not.  However, I take comfort from this thought by Mary Anne Radmacher:  "Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" 

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment