Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Play Ball!

Bronx Zoo.  Copyright 2012: singeronthesand

Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health
and that all may go well with you, even as your
soul is getting along well.
3 John 2 

I read a fascinating Internet article this morning about a medical study on the affects of depression in older adults - specifically, the link between depression and dementia.  And yes, there apparently is a link between the two, with subjects who have struggled with depression in middle age and older having a 20% higher rate of dementia than those without depression.  At this point in the study, one of the big questions remains: Is it the depression that brings on dementia, or the medication given to treat depression that causes the linkage.

Two years ago I participated in a non-medication program for those with depression.  Developed by Dr. Neil Nedley, the program is an eight part series that concentrates on therapy, lifestyle treatment, nutrition, and exercise.  For me, the program has been very successful, allowing me to thrive without taking medication.  The diet part is not exactly easy but achievable.  Where I tend to get behind is in the exercise regimen.

We humans have an amazing ability to talk ourselves out of almost anything, including really important areas of personal growth.  When I wake up in the morning, I know that I need to hop out of bed and lace on my walking shoes, but the bed is so warm and my excuses for not going flow so easily.  However, even the polar bear at the Bronx Zoo knows that if he doesn't get out there and play, he doesn't feel so hot.  I watched him play with his ball for quite awhile.  He amused himself, he got some good exercise, and he extended his lifeline just a little bit longer.  He is now my inspiration when I start to dawdle in the morning.  If a polar bear knows enough to take care of his mind and body, it ought to be a piece of cake for me.    

No comments:

Post a Comment