Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Created in God's Image

© singeronthesand 2011

The Lord formed the man from the dust of the ground,
and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life,
and the man became a living being.
Genesis 2:7

Any time I have a chance to go to the zoo, I love to watch the apes: gorillas, chimpanzees, and especially orangutans.  They have such expressive faces and silly antics.  When I visited the Metro Richmond Zoo last week, a large orangutan had found a bright green plastic soda bottle, and was having a great time chewing on it and mangling it into a green stick.  He/she (I couldn't tell the difference) was very preoccupied with the toy, only occasionally looking up to survey the landscape.

© singeronthesand 2011

 I have never been able to buy the theory that these animals are my close cousins - that I somehow descended from them over millions of years through a process of natural selection.  My belief in the nature and formation of man is the same as the ancient  biblical writers who proclaimed:

·        By the word of the Lord were the heavens made, and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth.  For He spoke and it was done; He commanded and it stood fast.  Psalm 33:6
·        By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.  Hebrews 11:3
·        In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.  Genesis 1:1
·        And he swore by Him who lives for ever and ever, who created the heavens and all that is in them, the earth and all that is in it, and the sea and all that is in it…  Revelation 10:6
·        He said with a loud voice, ‘Fear God and give Him glory… Worship Him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water.  Revelation 14:6

I believe that I was made by God in His image, an expression of His creative genius and His love for the human race.  He is my heavenly Father, and I acknowledge myself as His child.

© singeronthesand 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment