Monday, June 27, 2011

He Watching Over Israel


I will lift up my eyes to the hills
From whence comes my help.
My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to be moved;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Neither slumbers nor sleeps.
Psalm 121:1-4 [NKJV]

I have no idea what in my background has caused me to be this way, or if it is just a product of my particular personality, but I deal on a daily basis with fear.  I am afraid of so many things.  Some of them have a reasonable basis, but others are just ridiculous.  They are, however, very real.

For example:  Last year I purchased a house with a beautiful, extensive lawn.  The previous owners were older folk, and for the last few years of their lives, some things had fallen to disarray.  It has been a real joy to work on the landscaping and try to bring it back to its former glory or beyond.  The lawn is not perfect however, because I need to edge by the sidewalks and round the sheds, fences, etc.  I need a weed-eater, right?  Ah yes.  I have had two pass through my hands.  One was a huge gas-powered affair, and I could hardly lift it.  My neighbor is now the proud owner of that one.  I have an electric one in the shed that is missing its cord – a simple thing to buy.  But it sits in my shed and the grass grows in long threads across my sidewalk.  I am, in fact, afraid of weed-eaters. No, no, I have not had a terrible accident with one.  Actually, I’ve never used one.  And therein lies the rub – am I afraid of failure?  Afraid of injury?  Afraid of humiliation if I can’t get it to work right?  Beats me. 

Fear is a terrible emotion – in my mind, it is the most debilitating emotion we have.  Fear can be present day or night – 24/7 – with reason or without reason.  That is why this verse, from Psalm 121 has always been a favorite of mine.  When I am fearful, when I need help, my help comes from the Lord, the Creator – who does not slumber or sleep.  No matter when I am afraid, or under what circumstance, God is there to comfort and guide me.  Perhaps I should talk to Him about that weed-eater…..

No comments:

Post a Comment