Friday, June 3, 2011

Those Who Mourn

Blessed are the merciful,
For they shall obtain mercy.

Happy are the merciful,
For they will have mercy shown to them.

You’re blessed when you care.
At the moment of being “care-full,” you will find yourselves cared for.

I’m in New York for a few days, and while wandering the streets yesterday, coming back from the Home Depot (yes - a Home Depot in the midst of Manhattan!), I passed by a very aggressive homeless man. He was standing in the middle of the sidewalk, pleading with people to give him money.  When I walked by, he said, “Come on, lady, have a heart.”  Actually, he didn’t say it, he sort of growled it.  Normally I would have stopped and given him something.  This time I did not.  I muttered, “I’m sorry,” and walked on past. He yelled a retort back, but I really wasn’t listening.

I still had all my worldly goods on my back in a backpack, and I was carrying a heavy box (Aerobed mattress I had just purchased), and my hip was killing me.  I still had 12 long blocks to walk, and just didn’t feel like stopping and digging out some money.  I also didn’t like his aggressive attitude and mouthy yelling.  This man did not garner sympathy in any way - just the opposite.

Which is why he was exactly the man I should have stopped and spoken to.  It’s easy to find your mercy vein when the recipient is properly quiet and thankful.  It is entirely another to deal with an aggressive, mouthy man who feels like your money is his due.
There is no place in the Scripture, however, that says we should only help the lovely.  In fact, I think that Jesus was often referring to the unlovely when he urged us to show compassion and mercy.

There are enough needy in NYC to take every dime I have, if I stopped and handed out a dollar a person.  So what does Jesus expect me to do?  Listen, watch, be harmless as a dove and wise as a serpent, have a caring heart, and listen for His voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment