Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Salt, Anyone?


You are here to be salt-seasoning that brings out 
the God flavors of this earth.   
If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness?   
You’ve lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.
Matthew 5:13 [The Message]

I love salt.  I would never want my doctor to hear me say that, but it is true – I love salt.  If I were given the choice between a 99¢ bag of Crunchy Cheetos or a handful of cookies, I would choose the Cheetos every time.  There is just something about salt that brightens up the mouth, makes the flavor savory – gives life to whatever recipe it is added to.

When you are diagnosed with hypertension (high blood pressure), the doctor will immediately place you on a low/salt-no/salt diet.  Been there – done that.  Your physician will admonish that the change will be “something you get used to.”  Amazingly enough – that is correct!  The less salt you consume, the more low/salt food tastes “normal.”  Although my blood pressure is now normal, I am still very careful about my salt intake in food and drink. But occasionally, I just have to have a bag of salty orange goodness!

Out in the world, however, we are to be the Cheetos (smokehouse almonds, theater popcorn) of life.  In a world full of the chronic flavor of same old, same old, we are called to be the bright zest of Christian love. An unexpected kindness, a thank-you, a smile, a telephone call, a few extra moments of your time, a sincere inquiry into a person’s well-being – any and all of these, especially when bestowed upon a stranger – will bring a moment of savory delight:  a taste of the love of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment