Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hungry and Thirsty


Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.

Happy are those who are hungry and thirsty for true goodness,
For they will be fully satisfied!

You’re blessed when you work up a good appetite for God.
He’s food and drink in the best meal you’ll ever eat.

I injured a glute muscle in an exercise class in January, and finally started physical therapy in May (Don’t ask!).  My therapist is a great guy and is very caring about his patients.  Today, while discussing the advantages/disadvantages of a vegetarian (me) vs. a meat (him) diet, he happened to mention that he had high cholesterol.  My ears perked up immediately, as I used to have the same problem.  I told him about the program that I was on that had brought my total down 20 points.  The program has two components: slow-release niacin and daily portions of oat bran.

The minute I mentioned oat bran, he began to shake his head.  I said, “Well, then you could give up all your meat and dairy products instead!”  He face was stricken.  He said, “Even though I’m sure I would be a lot healthier and have more energy if I became a vegetarian, I just can’t give up my meat!!”  The conclusion?  He’d rather be unhealthy with his meat, than to be healthy without it.  Hmmm….

In the spiritual realm, what are you hungry for?  Do you have the same appetite for a daily dose of God as you have for your daily meals?  Do you long for His character to be reproduced in you?  God promises that if you so desire, you will be filled to the brim with His integrity, His joy,  His peace, and His over-flowing love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment