Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday's Song


Praise the Lord!
Praise God in His sanctuary. Praise Him in His mighty expanse.
Praise Him for His mighty deeds;
Praise Him according to His excellent greatness.
Praise Him with trumpet sound, praise Him with harp and lyre,
Praise Him with timbrel and dancing,
Praise Him with stringed instruments and pipe.
Praise Him with loud cymbals,
Praise Him with resounding cymbals.
Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.
Praise the Lord!
Psalm 150

I have one of the best jobs in the world:  I teach music.  I teach handbells and choir to children, teenagers and adults at church.  I coach singing for teenagers in high school.   I spend my days immersed in the beauty of musical expression, and share that beauty with those around me. 

My adult choir rehearses on Thursday evenings, and they are always a blessing.  Primarily a senior group, they have coalesced into a choral unit with amazing musicality.  Even those who would tell you that they “Can’t sing at all!” actually sing very well when they all work together.  Singing gives a wonderful lift to the spirit; it draws the heart and soul outward and upward. 

Do you like to sing?  Are you someone who enjoys singing in church, with the radio, and with your kids, or are you someone who only sings in the shower?  Do you have a favorite tune from your childhood?  Is there a special song that is “our song” for you and your significant other?   Music enables us to cement memories of people, places and events.  A melody is often remembered long after the spoken word is forgotten.

On this beautiful Friday morning, I hope that you will find a melody to brighten your day and lighten your burdens, “…singing and making melody in your heart to God.”. 

There’s within my heart a melody Jesus whispers sweet and low,
“Fear not, I am with thee, peace be still 
In all of life’s ebb and flow.”
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus – sweetest name I know.
Fills my every longing, keeps me singing as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment