Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Stand in Your Truth


…when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, 
He will guide you into all truth.
John 16:13a [KJV]

Suze Orman is an American financial advisor who has been around for quite a while.  She’s written several books, given fascinating financial seminars—especially for women, and developed a series for television that can be seen on PBS [Public Broadcasting].  Since the financial crisis hit in 2008, Ms. Orman has a new catchphrase for our beleaguered financial outlook – Stand in Your Truth.  An example:  Susie Q has major credit card debt she is struggling to pay.  Along comes her friend, Betty B, who wants Susie to take a spa weekend with her.  Susie has no cash, so the weekend jaunt would end up on the credit card.  To stand in her truth, Susie must say, “Hey, I’d love to go, but I cannot afford it.  Four simple words – so hard to say.

I love Ms. Orman’s new slogan.  In fact, I have recently adopted it as the motto for my life: Stand in My Truth.  I’m not talking about just finances here – but every single aspect of my Christian life.  Truth is a simple concept, but oh, so very hard to live with.  Jesus emphasized Truth in every aspect of His ministry on earth.  He proclaimed that He is the truth [John 14:6].  He said that when we know the truth, it will set us free [John 8:32].  He said that the Holy Spirit is the “…Spirit of truth” [John 15:26], and that the Spirit would guide us into all truth [John 16:13].  

Pilate famously asked, “What is truth?”   Webster states that it is the state of being “true,” i.e., faithful, loyal, constant, reliable, certain, in accordance with fact and reality, real, genuine, authentic, honest. The world says, “Whose truth?  Yours or mine?”   For many, truth is a fluid stream that changes with time, place or circumstance.  For me, truth is a fortress, a solid rock on which I can stand.  For me, the Truth is Jesus Christ, the Rock of Ages.  

O stand on the Rock, for ever sure,
The firm and the true foundation;
Its hope is the hope which shall endure,
The hope of our salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment