Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lead Me, Lord


Lead me, Lord – lead me in Thy righteousness,
Make Thy way plain before my face.
For it is Thou, Lord, Thou, Lord only
That makest me dwell in safety.
Samuel Wesley [1810-1876]

The church that I grew up in, located in Phoenix, Arizona, was called the Phoenix Central Church.  Situated on Garfield Street in an old downtown neighborhood, Central was the place to be on Saturday morning. There was a wonderful physician in the congregation, Dr. Jim, who was also a crack musician.  Suffice it to say that Central had wonderful music in the services, and a long tradition of musical excellence that I thrived in.

The hymn above, Lead Me, Lord, [#691 in the hymnal of my childhood] was a response that was sung by the congregation – usually after the pastoral prayer.  There were lots of songs that we used as responses, but this one was my favorite. I grew up singing it, in church and at home, and never realized that the words were a direct quote from Scripture.  Psalm 5:8 says: Lead me, O Lord, in Thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make Thy way straight before my face.  Psalm 4:8 states:  I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.

Samuel Wesley’s tune for this hymn is lovely, but I don’t think that was the complete source of my appreciation for this little chorus.  I have always been a timid person, scared of my own shadow, unsure of myself and very shy.  These words were and are a tremendous comfort to me:  God will guide me in His righteous paths, and keep me safely under His wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment