Saturday, May 14, 2011

Shh!!


Do not trust in a friend; do not put your confidence in a companion,
guard the doors of your mouth from her who lies in your bosom.
For son dishonors father, daughter rises against her mother, 
daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 
a man’s enemies are the men of his own household.
Therefore I will look to the Lord; 
I will wait for the God of my salvation;
My God will hear me.
Micah 7:5-7

Micah was a prophet from the town of Moresheth Gath in the southern portion of the country of Judah.  His ministry occurred between 750 and 686 B.C., making him a contemporary of the prophet Isaiah.  These words recorded in chapter seven are ancient echoes of cautionary warning, yet they are as relevant in 2011 as when Micah uttered them.

How many times has someone said to you, “WOW!  Do I need to talk to you – but you have to promise that you won’t tell a soul, because if you do…”   I believe this happened to me at least once this last week.  I am always suspicious of a conversation that begins that way.  How many other people have been confided in with the same dire message?  If the facts leak out, will my friend automatically think it was me – even when I didn’t tell anyone?  Secrecy is a fascinating thing – so often requested, so rarely given.

"Guard the doors of your mouth" - excellent advice, no matter the circumstance.  If there is something in your life that really needs to remain unknown, keep your mouth shut and your heart and mind directed to heaven.  There is One who will quietly listen and never betray your trust. Unburden your heart – tell Him all the juicy details, then rest in the knowledge that His heart of love is open, but His lips are sealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment