Sunday, May 22, 2011

Unwitting Role Model


May the words of my mouth,
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in Thy sight,
O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

A couple of weeks ago, I received a friend request on Facebook from someone that I did not recognize – in face or in name.  The woman thanked me for her first doll, her first set of china, her first bicycle, and “all the times you played piano for me.”  I replied, “I am so sorry, but I have no idea who you are.”

The woman wrote back, mentioning a family that attended the church that I grew up in.  She was the oldest child, a daughter who would have been very young compared to me.
She spoke of my sharing with her my love of music, playing the piano, singing, and generally paying attention to her as a young child.  I have absolutely no memory of this whatsoever.  She said that I greatly influenced her in her choice of what she wanted to do with her life.  She became a music educator, teaching in various Christian schools as well as privately in her home.  She has a wonderful website for the children’s music that she writes and records. You can visit her page at www.kidzspotlight.com.

Whether we choose to be or not, each of us is a role model to someone who is watching and listening.  If I would have known of this young girl’s open heart, would I have acted differently around her?  I don’t know.  I just praise the Lord that she viewed me as a positive example.  The credit for that belongs entirely to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment