Friday, July 1, 2011

I Believe


He then brought them out and asked,
Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus,
And you will be saved – you and your household.
Acts 16:30-31

Every first Sunday of the month, I am the teacher for the K-5 Sunday School classes, conducting the Music Station of a one month rotation.  Usually the songs provided are a mixture of ones I know [and the kids might know], and others that I’ve never heard before.  Because I only have 30 minutes to work with, I don’t like using unknown songs unless they are really on point for the theme.

This month, ALL of the songs are unknown to me, and by extension to the kids.  Worse, they are all relatively long and difficult songs that would not be easy to teach.  When faced with a quandary like this, I turn to an old trick I learned many years ago – I take the words of a song and put them to a new melody.  If I choose a melody that is very familiar to the kids, teaching them the song is very easy.  I’ve had to do this before, but never for every single song.  Should be a fun time getting ready for the class!

Music is such a powerful tool to enable kids to remember thoughts and principles.  There are many songs I learned in childhood that I still remember and occasionally sing. I Believe was written in the 1950’s, and recorded by many artists, including Elvis Presley, Frankie Lane, and Frank Sinatra.  When times got tough as I was growing up, I often sang this song to myself for courage and assurance.  It is as relevant to me today as it was back then.

I believe for every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows.
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night, a candle glows.
I believe for everyone who goes astray,
Someone will come to show the way.
I believe, I believe.
I believe above the storm the smallest prayer will still be heard.
I believe that Someone in the great somewhere hears every word.
Every time I hear a newborn baby cry, or touch a leaf or see the sky,
Then I know why I believe!


No comments:

Post a Comment